Concussion Recovery: Steps to Success.
Here are some important details about the recent international recommendations for concussion in sport that can improve your recovery from concussion. You can consider these as your basic steps to success for concussion recovery:
1. Identify the concussion early and remove athlete from play.
Use the new Concussion Recognition Tool 2023 downloadable from here.
2. Rest for the first 24 – 48 hours after a concussion, and significantly limit or avoid electronic screens for 2 days.
3. Gradually return to light activities after 24 - 48 hours of rest after a concussion but expect mild increases in symptoms.
A mild increase in symptoms is defined by two points:
An increase of 1 - 2 points out of 10 in symptom severity
These increased symptoms last for less than one hour after discontinuing the activity
Important: A mild increase in symptoms does not delay recovery from a concussion.
4. An early return to school is encouraged, but the amount of time and course load may need to be reduced after a concussion.
The return to school may be something like half days, without exams, and without homework for a few days.
The exact adjustments in the school schedule is completely dependent on the individual’s presentation. Some people may not need adjustments for more than a couple days.
Check out another Blog here to learn more about returning to school.
5. Begin a rehabilitation exercise program early (within the first 2 – 10 days) after a concussion.
Two benefits of this strategy:
Earlier resolution of symptoms.
Less likely to develop persisting symptoms.
Level Up Physical Therapy was built specifically to help those injured by concussion by building a rehabilitation program including education and guidance, as well as developing an exercise program specific to your symptoms.
Take control of your concussion recovery. Give us a call. We’d love to help!